Slack Updated 3-24-2020
The Math department has a slack workspace mit-math.slack.com.
Is slack is right for you? (pdf slides from ODL)
- Join slack by going to mit-math.slack.com and log in with your kerberos
- Create a new channel for a class: click ‘Add a channel’ or click the (+) by Channels
You will give it a ‘name’, and then you will see it in your slack channel using the hash #’name’. Note that you cannot use periods or other punctuation in your slack channel name: so instead of 18.600 you must use 18600 or 600. Pro tip: use a mix of the course number and name.
- Set channel to private. This will make it accessible only by students you invite.
- After you create the channel, you can add people.
- Click save outside of MIT (since students are not a part of the MIT Math workspace automatically). This will give you a link that you can share with your students.
- Email an invitation to your students.